I have been wanting to post for the last several days and just could not get to it! Lukas turned 5 yesterday and I was getting ready for his first friends/cousins party! Which, by the way, was a lot of fun. It was a tough day not to 'pick' the day away though!
It started first thing when we got up...Lukas requested french toast for breakfast. I LOVE french toast. It was really hard to make it, fix it, cut it, serve it, and clean it...all without eating or tasting any of it. But I did it. And I realized that on Phase 2 I can have french toast. I will make it with whole grain bread, the coating is just skim milk and eggs, and then I will get some sugar free syrup! That really helped me be okay without it that day, since I knew I would have it soon.
Then we had his party at Mc Donalds. The kids played on the equipment, ate happy meals, played some more while wearing their Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle masks, opened presents, ate cake and ice cream...and played some more! I ordered my favorite salad from Mc D's. It is the southwest chicken salad with grilled chicken. If I am on phase 2 I eat the tortilla strips, but yesterday I did not since I am on phase 1 (which is no carbs). It is a absolutely delicious salad. I knew I would not have time to eat it until after the party, and I was right. The hard part about serving the food was there were some extra fries I could have picked on. Who DOESN'T LOVE fries? I know I do! But, I did not have any. And then the cake...it is SO easy to have a little lick here or there, a bite of Lukas's etc. Those little tastes seem so harmless, but I know they make my body release insulin, and I know they make you want more, and I really will not allow myself to taste, on Phase 1 especially. I also REALLY love cake! But, I did not have any of that either.
I drank Diet Coke.
Then today I went to Marie Calendars for a baby shower for my cousin-in-law Kellie. For Nick's side of the family we always have a shower there when someone gets married and when they have their first baby. It is so fun to talk with all my sister-in-laws and cousin-in-laws (that we call sisters anyway). They are all so great and I enjoy being with them so much! I also love going to Marie Calendars because I can always get the salad bar. Not only does it taste so good to have more variety than at home, but I don't have to wash the lettuce, or cut vegetables, or clean up after! It was really, really satisfying!
******************* 2 hours later ***********************
This is WHY I have this blog...you all SAVED me tonight! If I did not know that I was mid-post, and that I am accountable to ALL OF YOU, I would have FINISHED the last 2 PIECES of CAKE! All of the 'resisting' the last few days caught up to me and I just wanted to eat something really carby and really sweet! But, I did NOT. I told myself that I am on Phase 1 right now, and that has to remain 'my perfect zone'. I had someone ask me, "Not just one bite?" And I said, "No, not on Phase 1." It's because of 'my perfect zone'.
'MY PERFECT ZONE' means that when I am on Phase 1, I follow Phase 1. Period. There are no BLTs (Bites, Licks, Tastes). I do not deviate. I need to know for myself that I have a 'zone' I can go to to get back to the South Beach Basics. That is what I have needed after Christmas, and it is working. I have to know that when I tell myself I am on Phase 1, I will go back to the basics, I will in a way cleanse my body again, I will propel myself forward a bit, I will remind myself of the choices I need to be making. That is why I COULD NOT indulge tonight. If I was on Phase 2 I could have decided to have some, been in control, and still be living on the Beach. Not on Phase 1.
In the past I would have reverted to the "I'll Start Again Tomorrow" syndrome, and it would have started with the cake, and then I would have found more things to binge on. I am thankful that thanks to this blog, I was able to stay connected to my goal at the critical moment when the food choice is made, and I chose right. YEA! It feels really empowering! THANK YOU EVERYONE for being there for me, for cheering me on, for believing me...you are making such a difference in my journey!
So, what did I eat? I have found a new little concoction, and I had some sugar free chocolate chips! Do you remember the Cream Cheese Cups I told you about? I made some of those last night so I could have something sweet after the party. But I have taken them a few steps farther. Now I put one (or 2) in a bowl with a dollop of peanut butter on it and nuke it for about 30 seconds. I stir it up and then smooth it down before spreading some cool whip on top. I also sometimes melt a few chocolate chips in the hot mixtures (allowed? yes.) Then I get a little baby spoon and eat it slowly. I am eating it right now with a Diet Barq's Root Beer. It really helps calm the sweet tooth.
Now, tomorrow. Sunday. Another hard eating day. And it's worse for me now because I get home at 12pm and have the ENTIRE day at home. Don't get me wrong, the thought of all day at home, relaxing sounds wonderful! It's just the eating that gets me a little worried. I think I am ready though. I boiled some eggs so I am ready for a fast salad for lunch. I also made the chili I was talking about, and it's good! So I have that ready for dinner. It is just the snacking I will have to control. I have some almonds, string cheese, celery and peanut butter, some sugar free hard candies, sugar free hot chocolate, and I could make some jello. I also have more root beer in the fridge. I have to do good since I have to weigh-in on Monday!
Quote of the day:
"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another."
-Walter Elliott
How TRUE this quote is! That is exactly what this weight journey is about. I just got through the short race of Lukas's birthday. Now that is over and I can focus on the next short race, which is Sunday! I am beginning to see that losing weight is like anything else, you have to break it down into smaller goals. I have always known that as far as the number goals go (lose 10 pounds, then the next 10, etc) but I have never thought about it in terms of situations. I don't need to worry about every difficult setting I will ever be in. I just focus on the next one, get through it, and then see what is coming next.
I hope everyone has a happy and healthy Sunday...I will report on Monday how the Phase 1 detox has done to reverse the Christmas damage!
1 comment:
i didn't get a chance to tell you how impressed i was as i watched you at the party. you did AWESOME! everyone else - i was there and i attest that she did not even lick frosting off her fingers! i wasn't watching to "make sure" you didn't cheat or anything, i just noticed that you were so in control and i was so proud of you. (not so much of myself!) and your new treat sounds delicious! i need to get that recipe really badly. i had tasted the cream cheese things at your house, and think it'd be good to have some in my fridge for those "moments." great job, karly!
Post a Comment