Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Mid-week check-in

I don't have much to write about but felt like checking in. I am having a really good snack right now. I found the sugar free chocolate chips at Walmart that my cousin told me about...and to my surprise they are good! I don't like the sugar free chocolate syrup, but the chips are good. I am having about 15 almonds with some sugar free chocolate chips sprinkled in. It is yummy.

Also, I was thinking about papers. When I used to deliver papers I ate a lot of snacks during the night. Part of it was habit, part of it was the need to eat to stay awake, and part of it was the raging sugar in my body that was always telling me I needed more more more! Well, I am doing papers again, temporarily for a while, and I have not bought one snack. I still get my Diet Mountain Dew each night, then I take a string cheese and a few sugar free hard candies. I don't need a snack or even think about it. WOW! There is no raging sugar telling me to get more!

It is so nice to not always be thinking when I can get my next 'sugar snack fix'...and that is how it felt! I had to have a plan...I would think, "I'll be out at this time and I can get..." whatever I was wanting right then. It was also expensive! I may spend more now on fresher food and healthier alternatives at the grocery store, but I know it's evening out because I am not spending all the extra during the day.

The other benefit...Lukas does not eat nearly as many snacks! That is the part that made me the saddest. I was letting Lukas have more than he should have so I could have my snacks! That is SO sad! Thankfully he is still young and I can teach him proper eating habits.

Funny/Sad story: One of the snacks I liked to get was the big pink sugar cookies. Well, one day we were at the 'snack store' and it's called at our house, and Lukas saw one of those cookies and handed it to me and said, "Here's your cookie Mom!" I told him I did not want it anymore. Thankfully I was able to turn that story around. A few weeks after that Lukas was talking with Nick about what we could all get at a restaurant we were going to for Nick's birthday. Lukas said, "Mom can get the salad!" He has not handed me a cookie since! Thankfully he watches and I still have time to teach him!

I have also exercised two times this week. I can't do it tomorrow or Saturday, so I will get my third day on Friday.

Quote of the day:

Our lives improve only when we take chances - and the first and most difficult risk we can take is to be honest with ourselves.
Walter Anderson

This is how I feel when I write posts like today...talking about the 'secret eating' I did so much of and being so honest with all of you, but most of all with myself! But if I don't acknowledge it, I can't change it. Thankfully, I am changing it now! That is a person of the past!


Thanks again for all of your support! It means the world to me!
Have a good rest of the week everybody!

6 comments:

Sylvia said...

Being honest with yourself, analyzing your emotions in connection with eating, seeing its effects on your children.....Dr. Phil, Oprah, and Bob Greene would all be giving you pats on the back right now. Woot woot!

Karly and Nick said...

I'll take Sylvia's "pat on the back" comment and second that! You are setting such a great example for all your boys (and I'm not just talking about Slade and Lukas!) I love you, sweets! Great job!

Ryan and Summer said...

You are so great to be doing this and journaling it the entire way. I was looking at your pictures on the side of the blog and you look so great! You are inspiring me. I am like the old you... and I just keep thinking this is the worst time of the year to start a lifestyle change, but each time I read your blog, I become a little more motivated. When you move, we will have to plan some overnighters in Billings and do reward things there, (if I finally start exercising and eating better!!) keep up the good work. I am living vicariously through you.

cindave said...

i swear i commented on this post the other day, but i must have been in a hurry. but i read it and was SO impressed! you are setting a great example for your kids. i love the cookie/salad story. and it's awesome that you're really past the "looking for your next sugar fix" point. i'm seriously struggling with that right now. like this morning, i went for the last chocolate dipped pretzel that my visiting teachers brought me and realized i had put it in dave's lunch. i thought, "what was i thinking???" and then i realized, i was thinking ahead. dang it! :)

Sweet Herb Mate Co. said...

Karly,

That story about Lucas just shows how great you are doing. Kids notice everything, even when they are evi's age (as you know) and what Lucas knows is that his mom dosent do something she used to, and some day he will appreciate that. You are doing a great job.

Love Dawson

ddabling said...

Karly,

So I made a batch of sugar-free chocolate chip cookies with it. With my sweetener, they are very yummy, but because of the flour, they are still 10 carbs each...think of how much a regular cookie has!!! For another treat, you could make a flourless peanut butter cookie and drizzle your melted chocolate chips over them...or melt a few of them and add them to your cheesecake batter to make a low carb chocolate cheesecake!