Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Biggest Loser




I always told myself I would NOT watch this show! When the first season started I remember thinking, "What a dumb show. Sure, they'll lose weight. ANYONE can lose weight when they have a personal trainer, their food plans are done for them, with no other distractions on a ranch far away from everyone else. How unreal can you get!" I think as a 'large' person myself it was almost offensive to me...a show about big fat people.

So I saw an occasional episode and through the grapevine kind of knew about it. Then last season it seemed like so many people I know were watching it, and LOVED it. And maybe now that I am in a place in my life where I am focused on it and working toward goals, I was ready to watch it.

Let me just say...I AM HOOKED! Last night I cried three times during the two hour episode (in a good way)! Sure, it would be easier for everyone if we were in their circumstances, but I see now there are lessons we can learn from watching them on their journey. And to be truly successful they will all have to carry over the changes they have made, to their day to day lives.

Good things I have gotten from the show so far are:

  • If I was a contestant and got on that scale, I WOULD NOT be the heaviest one! YEA!
  • Water: Being hydrated is really important. I used to drink water like crazy. And when I am pregnant I drink water like crazy. But I have not drank enough water for a long time. So today I did not get the afternoon Diet Mountain Dew, but instead had two mugs of water (about 40 oz total). I am going to make water part of my day again.
  • Gum: I also used to chew gum like crazy. I always had it with me. The funny thing is that I thought of this over Christmas when my Mom offered me some gum and I said, "I hardly ever chew gum anymore." The thought popped into my head that, 'I used to chew gum alot, and I used to be much thinner'...coincidence? Maybe. Probably Not. If you watched the show last night you saw the terrible planned dialogue about the 3pm snack attack, and Bob whips out some Extra Sweet Sensations Gum. I hate to admit it worked...but I bought two packs of Extra gum today (and I love the new boxes they come in!)

I just have a really revved up feeling about really kicking it in gear and getting more weight off! Not that I am not happy with how I have been doing. I guess it's just a renewed energy and motivation to keep going and keep finding new ways to improve how I lose weight and how to become more healthy. I am talking about some simple things like the water and gum.

If you don't watch it, don't worry! I will keep you updated!

1 comment:

cindave said...

we love that show and watch it every week. that and The Office are all dave has any interest in. We didn't get into it until last season, but we were hooked. it really is inspirational, as cheesy as that sounds. i'm glad you're watching. i think it really helps not only keep you motivated, but also helps keep things in perspective. like you said, you are not the heaviest one, and you don't have the most to lose. dave looks at the biggest loser website all the time, and last night was telling me about a guy who has lost over 200 lbs and still weighs over 350 lbs. he said he probably has about 100 more to go. you could be that guy. can you imagine having like 2 1/2 full sized adults to lose just to be healthy? puts things in perspective for me anyway.