
I'm as ready as I'm going to be!

The time came to start. The gun went off and we all started moving. It took a few minutes for the mass to disperse. Then the fast ones got up front, the slow ones in the back, and Nick and I settled into our pace right in the middle. That was perfect for us. As soon as we were spread out I wasn't worried about where I was in relation to everyone else. Though, my mind did play a trick on me. I would see other people stop jogging and walk. I thought, "Maybe this is harder than I thought and I should walk too?" I quickly reminded myself that I have been jogging this same distance 3 -4 times a week. I didn't need to walk now. When I reminded myself of that I was really proud that Nick and I were able to keep jogging. Don't get me wrong, I am proud of all the people that were there --- walking, jogging and running. But Nick and I had set a goal to not walk, so I was really proud of us! We did jog the whole way!
Silly Side note: There were two water stations along the way. At one I took a little drink. The funnest thing ever was taking a sip, crumpling up my cup, and throwing it along the side of the road! (Others did it before me...I knew it was okay!) But I have always seen that on TV and it felt so good to do it and be the person in the race!
We knew we were getting close to the end of the race. We could see a turn coming that would take us on the last 200 yards or so to the arch where the race ended. There were two girls that we had been near the whole time. They would be in front of us, then walk, we'd pass, they pass, then walk, we pass, etc. As we approached the last turn Nick said, "We have been by them the whole time. I know you want to pass them. Go. Finish before them." I hesitated because we wanted to stay together. But he insisted --- so I picked up my pace.
I passed them and rounded that last corner. As I saw that arch and realized I was going to finish my first 5K, I was overcome with emotion. I saw myself over 100 lbs ago and then now, finishing a race. I broke into tears and just sobbed. I looked behind me and saw nobody was close to me, and I still had a ways until I finished. I let myself feel all those emotions and just cried. I can't even describe all the things I was feeling. I just can't believe how different my life is from 9 months ago. And it's not just the outside that has changed. I am changing the very person I am. I am changing my actual identity. I am not just eating different, but thinking different. I have new interests. All of this was flashing through my mind and I just ran harder. I started to get closer so I wiped my eyes. It felt so wonderful to cross through that finish line with people clapping, saying good job, good finish!
I turned around and Nick was right with those other girls. He's nice and didn't want to sprint on them. He finished five people behind me. We finished right in the middle of all the participants --- we are really happy with that! We walked arm and arm to cool down. I cried some more and Nick just hugged me. He knows me so well! He knew I needed that moment at the end. He wanted me to finish alone so I could really soak it all in! What an amazing husband I have!
We are one happy couple!

Nick said, "I'm running for the T-Shirt!"
He got it!
This T-shirt means alot to me too!
We got certificates as well.
This was such an amazing experience! It would have been wonderful alone, but it was unbelievable doing it with my best friend and lover (can I say lover on my blog)?
I have heard running races is addicting. I now know that it's true! We are looking for our next race to run this summer. I have increased my mileage this week by half a mile. I want to slowly keep adding distance. It feels so good to be outside, have my legs pounding the ground, my arms swinging, my heart pumping, little sweat drops dripping from my hair. It hurts too --- but there are parts of every jog where I hit that 'sweet spot' where it's easy to jog, my breathing is easy, the perfect song comes on, and it just feels exhilarating! Those moments push me when I am tired, it hurts, and I want to stop. It has made exercise have more purpose and it's fun to have little mini-goals every week. And I am just a 'beginning' jogger --- I am in awe of these people that have been doing it for a long time and go for miles and miles. I will get there one day. For now, I am very proud of my first race!
Since we did run this race for our anniversary, we did eat out lots more than usual. We went out Friday night, Subway after the race, and a surprise lunch out Monday (our actual anniversary). I was nervous to weigh in. I guess I have two weigh-ins to report!
Thursday (4/22) before the race:
Lost: -2.6 lbs
Thursday (4/29) after race and dinners:
Lost: -.8
Total Lost: -109.4 lbs
I was thrilled to lose .8 after going out alot. I did try to keep track, and didn't eat my whole entree. But at the same time, I enjoyed myself and was a little more relaxed. I never lost control though, and just went 'hot wild' like I would have before. Even on previous diets that I was doing good on, I would lose control at these special occasions. It would derail me for weeks! I enjoyed these meals, stayed in control, and kept right on going like normal at the very next meal! It is the moments like that where I see the new identity I am creating for myself. I really am a different, healthier and wiser person on the inside!
2 comments:
I couldn't be more proud of you (and Nick) for doing this race! I knew you could do it! I know what you're talking about when you describe the emotional part of coming to the finish...it feels so great to know that you gave it your all! Sometimes I get in such a habit of doing things for my kids all day long, that I forget what it feels like to do something for me...and that's why I love to do races. I would love to do a 5K or a 10K with you sometime, if you want to? Maybe we could look for some that are in Utah in the summer/fall and you guys could come down and make a little trip out of it? I think that would be so fun! Anyway, you're awesome and I love ya. I love this blog too. I hope you keep doing it.
I got teary reading your chariots-of-fire finish. What a cool, cool way to end the race. GREAT JOB!!
Post a Comment